WhyReef - Fun Facts
Whereas most creatures drink water because they are thirsty, the porcupinefish gulps it down to protect itself from predators! When it feels threatened, it will take big swigs of water, which makes its body puff out like a balloon. After it has doubled or even tripled in size, with its spiky spines pointing outwards, most predators think twice about eating it.
As if that weren’t enough, the porcupinefish is also poisonous. Its skin and organs have a toxic chemical in them, made by bacteria that it eats. It will make other fish and people very sick if they eat it.