Coreopsis verticillata (thread-leaf coreopsis) is a species of flowering plant of the genus Coreopsis in the family Asteraceae, native to the southeastern United States. The common names are whorled coreopsis, thread-leaved tickseed, thread leaf coreopsis, and pot-of-gold.
C. verticillata is an herbaceous perennial that grows 2–3 ft (1–1 m) tall and about 2 ft (1 m) wide, although as it spreads laterally by rhizomes, this width can be exceeded. The stems are wiry. The flower heads are up to 2 in (51 mm) across, and both the disc florets and ray florets are bright yellow. The flowers are produced abundantly in clusters from midsummer to fall.
C. verticillata can commonly be found in dry, thin woods and open pinelands, preferring sites with full sun exposure. It can tolerate drought, poor soil, extreme heat, and neglect. Its native range includes most of North America east of the Mississippi River.
Coreopsis verticillata and its horticultural cultivars are not difficult to grow and hence make good starter plants for beginners. They have a long flowering season and are relatively free from pests and diseases. They attract butterflies and are deer resistant. They can be grown in hanging baskets and containers (where irrigation will be necessary), or as border plants. Carolyn Singer, in "Deer in My Garden", reports that C. verticillata is a good companion plant with other summer-blooming perennials requiring similar conditions. The following notable cultivars have all gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit:-
- 'Grandiflora' - taller than other cultivars, with slightly larger flowers
- 'Moonbeam' - pale, sulphur-yellow flowers, slightly shorter growth, chosen as the 1992 Perennial Plant of the Year by the Perennial Plant Association. When this cultivar was first introduced to the market, demand outstripped supply in some localities, such was its popularity.
- 'Zagreb' - shorter than the species, bright yellow flowers
- "Coreopsis verticillata L.". Wildflower Center at The University Of Texas At Austin. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- Christman, Steve. "Coreopsis verticillata". Floridata. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- 14. Coreopsis verticillata Linnaeus, Flora of North America
- "Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam'". Perennial Resource. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "Coreopsis verticillata". Magnolia Gardens Nursery. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- Singer, Carolyn (2006). Deer in My Garden: Vol. 1: Perennials & Subshrubs. Emerald Book. ISBN 978-0-9774251-0-5.
- "RHS Plant Selector Coreopsis verticillata 'Grandiflora' AGM / RHS Gardening". Apps.rhs.org.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- Iannotti, Marie. "Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam'". About.com. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "RHS Plant Selector Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam' / RHS Gardening". Apps.rhs.org.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "Coreopsis verticillata Zagreb". North Creek Nurseries. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "RHS Plant Selector Coreopsis verticillata 'Zagreb' AGM / RHS Gardening". Apps.rhs.org.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Coreopsis verticillata|