Eurema brigitta, know as the Broad-bordered Grass Yellow, Small Grass Yellow, or No Brand Grass Yellow is a small (adult wingspan 28-45 mm), bright yellow butterfly in family Pieridae. There are about 55 species in genus Eurema; E. brigitta can be distinguished from its similar congenitors by its lack of black spots on the unside of the forewing. One of the 15 most common butterflies in Africa, Arabia and Southeast Asia, the Small Grass Yellow is widespread in almost all countries in both continents, including Madagascar and other islands. It also occurs in Papua New Guinea and Australia. This habitat generalist lives mainly in open grasslands, clearings and disturbed areas, up to altitudes of 2400 m. Adults eat flower nectar; males also mud puddle on sand or dung, often in large migratory congregations. The larvae, which grow to about 3 cm long have a darker green back and lighter lateral stripes. Larvae feed on hostplants in the family Fabaceae (Leguminaceae): especially Chamaecrista mimosoides, Neptunia dimorphantha (in Australia), species in the genera Senna, Sesbania, Albizia, Acacia, and Tephrosia and Hypericum aethiopicum (family Hypericaceae). For a nice photo description of the life history of this species, see http://www.butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2009/10/life-history-of-no-brand-grass-yellow.html
(Day 2000-2013; Hoskins 2013; Herbison 2009; Larsen 2011; Tan 2009)
- Day, L. 2000-2013. Eurema brigitta hainana. Samuibutterflies. Retrieved June 7, 2013 from http://www.samuibutterflies.com/insects/butterflies/pieridae/euremabrigittahainana/
- Hoskins.A, Learn About Butterflies: the complete guide to the world of butterflies & moths. Small Grass Yellow: Eurema brigatta. Retrieved June 7, 2013 from http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com/Africa%20-%20Eurema%20brigitta.htm.
- Herbison-Evans, D. and S. Crossley. 23 April, 2009. Eurema brigitta. Butterflies of Australia: Coffs Harbour Butterfly House. Retrieved June 7, 2013 from http://lepidoptera.butterflyhouse.com.au/pier/brigitt.html.
- Larsen, T. 2011. Eurema brigitta. In: IUCN 2012. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.2. Retrieved 07 June 2013 from http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/159946/0.
- Tan, H. 2009. Life History of No Brand Grass Yellow. Retrieved June 7, 2013 from http://www.butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2009/10/life-history-of-no-brand-grass-yellow.html