The food value of berries and browse varies seasonally, and with site
characteristics, geographic location, and fire history [29,143].
Fruit: Fruit is an excellent source of vitamin C, natural sugars,
niacin, and manganese [31,123]. Berries are relatively high in
carbohydrates and soluble solids but contain little sodium or fat
[13,31,123,164]. Fruit averages approximately 41 calories per 0.5 cup
, with sugar concentration ranging from 0.03 to 0.34 percent .
Overall nutrient value is rated as moderately low . Average
vitamin and mineral content of low sweet blueberry fruit on a wet weight
basis is available .
Browse: Nitrogen typically decreases from July 22 to September 22
during crop years but increases during years in which no fruit
production occurs . Levels of phosphorus, calcium, manganese,
potassium, and magnesium also exhibit seasonal fluctuations .
Nutrient content of low sweet blueberry leaves is as follows :
Nutrients - N P K Ca Mg
Concentration (%) - 1.50-2.00 0.08-0.121 0.40-0.55 0.40-0.65 0.15-0.20
- 13. Ballington, J. R.; Ballinger, W. E.; Swallow, W. H.; [and others]
- 29. Bourgeron, P. S.; Kratz, A. M.; Weaver, T.; Weidman, N. 1988. Bibliography of Montana vegetation description. Great Basin Naturalist. 48(3): 301-401. 
- 31. Bushway, R. J.; Mc Gann, D. F.; Cook, W. P.; Bushway, A. A. 1983. Mineral and vitamin content of lowbush blueberries (Vaccinium angustifolium Ait.). Journal of Food Science. 48(6): 1878-1880. 
- 72. Hall, Ivan V.; Aalders, Lewis E.; Nickerson, Nancy L.; Vander Kloet, Sam P. 1979. The biological flora of Canada. I. Vaccinium angustifolium Ait., sweet lowbush blueberry. Canadian Field-Naturalist. 93(4): 415-430. 
- 123. Reich, Lee. 1988. Backyard blues. Organic Gardening. 35(6): 28-34. 
- 143. Stergas, R. L.; Adams, K. B. 1989. Jack pine barrens in northeastern New York: postfire macronutrient concentrations, heat content, and understory biomass. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 19: 904-910. 
- 147. Townsend, L. R.; Hall, I. V. 1970. Trends in nutrient levels of lowbush blueberry leaves during four consecutive years of sampling. Le Naturaliste Canadien. 97(4): 461-466. 
- 164. Wainio, Walter W.; Forbes, E. B. 1941. The chemical composition of forest fruits and nuts from Pennsylvania. Journal of Agricultural Research. 62(10): 627-635. 
- 168. Wood, G. W.; Wood, F. A. 1963. Nectar production and its relation to fruitset in the lowbush blueberry. Canadian Journal of Botany. 41: 1675-1679. 
No one has provided updates yet.