The Cheirodontops geayi is the only member of its genus. This species can be found in a marine freshwater environment within a benthopelagic range. They are native to tropical climates. The average length of the Cheirodontops geayi as an unsexed male is about 4 inches or about 1.5 inches. 
The taxonomic classification of the Cheirodontops geayi is as follows:
- Kingdom : Animalia
- Phylum : Chordata
- Subphylum : Vertebrata
- Superclass : Gnathostomata
- Grade : Teleostomi
- Class : Actinopterygii
- Subclass : Neopterygii
- Division : Teleostei
- Subdivision : Euteleostei
- Superorder : Ostariophysi
- Series : Otophysi
- Order : Characiformes
- Family : Characidae
- Genus : Cheirodontops
- "Cheirodontops geayi". Encyclopedia of Life. http://eol.org/pages/207951/overview. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "Cheirodontops geayi". Fish Base. http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Cheirodontops-geayi.html. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- "Cheirodontops geayi". Animal Diversity Web. http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/Cheirodontops_geayi/classification/. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2011). "Cheirodontops geayi" in FishBase. October 2011 version.
|This Characiformes-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|