Distribution and ecology
Its geographical range extends from near Höfn on the south coast of Iceland (at nearly 64° N) south to Morocco, including the Azores, Madeira and the Canary Islands. It is found at depths from 50 metres (160 ft) to over 730 m (2,400 ft). While the species is sometimes abundant in the south of its range, it is uncommon further north; all the specimens from Brittany and further north were male, and are thought to be recent travellers from further south, rather than representing a stable northern population.
|External identifiers for Cancer bellianus|
|Encyclopedia of Life||2950063|
- Charles Fransen (June 12, 2007). "Cancer bellianus Johnson, 1861". European Register of Marine Species. http://www.marbef.org/data/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=107275. Retrieved January 23, 2009.
- M.J. de Kluijver & S.S. Ingalsuo. "Cancer bellianus". Macrobenthos of the North Sea: Crustacea. Universiteit van Amsterdam. http://nlbif.eti.uva.nl/bis/crustacea.php?selected=beschrijving&menuentry=soorten&id=182. Retrieved January 23, 2009.
- Pinho, M. R., J. M. Gonçalves & H. R. Martins (2001). "Biology and abundance of Cancer bellianus (Decapoda, Brachyura) around the Azores". ICES Journal of Marine Science 58 (4): 896–903. doi:10.1006/jmsc.2001.1079.
- J. A. Quiles, V. Rico, V. M. Tuset, J. I. Santana & J. A. González (2001). "Notes on the biology of Cancer bellianus (Brachyura, Cancridae) around the Canary Islands". Hydrobiologia 449 (1–3): 193–199. doi:10.1023/A:1017546615270.
- James Mason & C. Davidson (1965). "Cancer bellianus Johnson in Northern Atlantic waters (Decapod Brachyura)". Crustaceana 10 (3): 318–320. doi:10.1163/156854066X00261. JSTOR 20102755.
No one has provided updates yet.