The leaves and buds can be cooked and used as a vegetable, but can be toxic. A tea can be made using the leaves.
Members of this genus are poisonous and the fruit has been known to cause stomach upsets in some people, but no records of this have been found for S. sieboldiana; any toxins that may be in the fruit would be destroyed upon cooking and would have a low toxicity.
- "Sambucus sieboldiana". http://www.aussiegardening.com.au/findplants/plant/Sambucus_sieboldiana. Retrieved 27 January 2013.