Apanteles fumiferanae Viereck, 1912 is widely distributed in the Nearctic. It has been recorded in USA from 15 different states: Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Washington, Wisconsin (Yu et al., 2012) and in Canada from 6 provinces and one territory: British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Ontario, and Quebec (Fernández-Triana, 2010). There is also one record from Poland, Europe (Huflejt, 1997).
In North America this species is one of the most important parasitoids of the major forest pests Choristoneura spp. (Lepidoptera, Tortricidae). Recent work done on A. fumiferanae has resulted in several new species being split from it (e.g. Mason 1974; Fernandez-Triana and Huber 2010; Fernández-Triana, 2010). However, morphology, DNA barcoding, and host data strongly suggest that there are still more species under that name. An integrative approach will be needed to fully unravel this species-complex. In the meantime, the accuracy of current host records and “species” distribution should be taken with caution (Fernández-Triana, 2010).
- Fernández-Triana J, Huber JT (2010) Braconid parasitoids (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) of Nearctic Choristoneura species (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae), with a summary of other parasitoid families attacking Choristoneura. The Canadian Entomologist 142: 295–343.
- Fernández-Triana J (2010) Eight new species and an annotated checklist of Microgastrinae (Hymenoptera: Braconidae) from Canada and Alaska. Zookeys, 63, 1–53.
- Huflejt, T. 1997. Ichneumonoidea. In Wykaz zwierzat Polski. Tom. 5: czesc 32/24: Hymenoptera - poslowie. [Checklist of animals of Poland. Vol. 5: part 32/24 Hymenoptera – postscript]. Edited by Razowski, J. Wydawnictwa Instytutu Systematyki i Ewolucji Zwierzat. PAN, Krakow. pp. 75–144.
- Mason WRM (1974) The Apanteles species (Hymenoptera: Braconidae attacking Lepidoptera in the micro-habitat of the spruce budworm (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). The Canadian Entomologist 106: 1087–1102.
- Yu DSK, van Achterberg C, Horstmann K (2012) Taxapad 2012, Ichneumonoidea 2011. Database on flash-drive. www.taxapad.com, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
No one has provided updates yet.