Pousargues African fat mouse
Pousargues's African Fat Mouse (Steatomys opimus) is an extant species of rodent indigenous to the Central African Republic, Cameroon, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Given the distribution of the species throughout central Africa, the probability of a 'large population', and the security of its habitat, the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) recognises S. opimus as stable. Although the species is comparable in size to S. bocagei, the former exhibits an extra, abdominal pair of teats. In comparison to S. pratensis, S. opimus is significantly larger, while further comparison is necessary with S. jacksoni.
- Hoffmann, M. and Cox, N. (2008). "Steatomys opimus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2012.1. International Union for Conservation of Nature. http://www.iucnredlist.org/apps/redlist/details/136513. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- Wilson, D. E.; Reeder, D. M. (2005). Mammal Species of the World (3rd ed.). Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press. ISBN 0801882214.
- List of mammals of Cameroon
- List of mammals of the Central African Republic
- List of mammals of the Democratic Republic of the Congo