Chinchilla young are born highly developed, after a short gestation period of, on average, 111 days. After birth, baby chinchillas have a full fur coat, teeth, open eyes, and weigh around 30-60 grams. Once delivered, they are able to walk within an hour. Young chinchillas reach sexual maturity within six to nine months of birth. Once they have reached sexual maturity, females may give birth to two to three litters per year. The average number of offspring per litter is generally around one to four (Saunders 2009).
- Jimènez JE. 1996. The extirpation and current status of wild chinchillas Chinchilla lanigera and C-brevicaudata. Biological Conservation. 77(1):1-6.
- Lammers AR, Dziech HA, German RZ. 2001. Ontogeny of sexual dimorphism in Chinchilla lanigera (Rodentia: Chinchillidae). Journal of Mammalogy. 82(1):179-189.
- Saunders R. 2009. Veterinary care of chinchillas. In Practice. 31(6): 282-291.
- Spotorno AE (a), Valladares JP, Marin JC, Palma E, Zuleta C. 2004. Molecular divergence and phylogenetic relationships of chinchillids (Rodentia: Chinchillidae). Journal of Mammalogy. 85(3):2-8.
- Spotorno AE (b), Zuleta CA, Valladares JP, Deane AL, Jimènez JE. 2004. Chinchilla laniger. Mammalian Species. 758:1-9.
No one has provided updates yet.