A medium-sized (5 inches) vireo, the Yellow-throated Vireo is most easily identified by its yellow breast, gray tail, gray wings with white wing bars, and olive-green back and head with conspicuous yellow eye-rings. This species may be separated from the Philadelphia Vireo (Vireo philadelphicus), which also has a yellow breast, by that species’ plain brownish-gray wings and tail. Male and female Yellow-throated Vireos are similar to one another in all seasons. The Yellow-throated Vireo breeds across much of the eastern United States and southern Canada. Within this range, this species is mostly absent as a breeding bird from northern New England, south Florida, and the western Gulf coast of Louisiana and Texas. Yellow-throated Vireos spend the winter from southern Mexico and the Bahamas south to northern South America. Yellow-throated Vireos breed in a variety of deciduous or mixed deciduous and evergreen woodland habitats. During the winter, this species may be found along the edges of tropical forests. Yellow-throated Vireos primarily eat small insects, but also eat small quantities of fruits and berries during the winter. In appropriate habitat, Yellow-throated Vireos may be seen foraging for food on leaves and branches at middle heights in the canopy. Birdwatchers may also listen for this species’ song, a series of buzzing notes vaguely recalling portions of American Robin songs. Yellow-throated Vireos are primarily active during the day, but, like many migratory songbirds, this species migrates at night.
- Peterson, Roger Tory. Birds of Eastern and Central North America. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1980. Print.
- Rodewald, Paul G. and Ross D. James. 2011. Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons), The Birds of North America Online (A. Poole, Ed.). Ithaca: Cornell Lab of Ornithology; Retrieved from the Birds of North America Online: http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/247
- Vireo flavifrons. Xeno-canto. Xeno-canto Foundation, n.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=Vireo+flavifrons.
- Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons). The Internet Bird Collection. Lynx Edicions, n.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://ibc.lynxeds.com/species/yellow-throated-vireo-vireo-flavifrons.
- eBird Range Map - Yellow-throated Vireo. eBird. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, N.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://ebird.org/ebird/map/yetvir.
No one has provided updates yet.