A strangely-patterned sparrow-sized (6-8 inches) bird, the male Bobolink in summer plumage is most easily identified by its black head and breast, buff-brown nape, light-gray rump patch, and large white wing bars. In its winter plumage, the male Bobolink looses much of striking coloration, becoming mottled brown above and tan below with a brown-striped head. Female Bobolinks resemble winter males. The Bobolink breeds across a large part of southern Canada and the northern United States. This species is a long-distance migrant, wintering in southern South America. Migrating Bobolinks pass southward along the coast of the southeastern U.S.before continuing south to South America via Jamaica. In summer, Bobolinks breed in grasslands, prairie, and, more recently, agricultural fields. During the winter, this species utilizes habitats similar to those inhabited during the summer in the pampas region of South America. Bobolinks primarily eat seeds, grains, and insects. Most North American birdwatchers never visit the Bobolink’s winter range in South America. However, this species is relatively easy to observe during the summer months as it forages for food on the ground below tall grasses or on the grass stalks themselves. Bobolinks are most active during the day.
- Martin, Stephen G. and Thomas A. Gavin. 1995. Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus), The Birds of North America Online (A. Poole, Ed.). Ithaca: Cornell Lab of Ornithology; Retrieved from the Birds of North America Online: http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/176
- Peterson, Roger Tory. Birds of Eastern and Central North America. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1980. Print.
- eBird Range Map - Bobolink. eBird. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, N.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://ebird.org/ebird/map/boboli.
- Dolichonyx oryzivorus. Xeno-canto. Xeno-canto Foundation, n.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=Dolichonyx+oryzivorus.
- Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus). The Internet Bird Collection. Lynx Edicions, n.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://ibc.lynxeds.com/species/bobolink-dolichonyx-oryzivorus.
No one has provided updates yet.