More often heard than seen, the Yellow-billed Cuckoo (11-13 inches) is most easily separated from the similar Black-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus erythropthalmus) by its reddish-brown wing patches, white-and-black under-tail pattern, and the yellow on its bill. Other field marks include a long tail, thin body, and black legs. Male and female Yellow-billed Cuckoos are similar at all seasons. The Yellow-billed Cuckoo breeds across much of the eastern U.S.and southern Canada. Smaller numbers breed west of the Great Plains, in Mexico, and in the West Indies. All Yellow-billed Cuckoos spend the winter in South America. Yellow-billed Cuckoos breed in forests with plentiful undergrowth and clearings, particularly those near water. On migration, this species may be found in habitat similar to that inhabited during the summer months. Wintering Yellow-billed Cuckoos inhabit humid tropical forest. The diet of this species is composed primarily of large insects, including grasshoppers, cicadas, and caterpillars. Like many cuckoos, the Yellow-billed Cuckoo spends much of its time hidden in thick vegetation, where it is not easily seen. Lucky birdwatchers may observe this species slinking through the branches of tall trees while foraging for insect prey. Yellow-billed Cuckoos are primarily active during the day, but like many migratory birds, this species migrates at night.
- Coccyzus americanus. Xeno-canto. Xeno-canto Foundation, n.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=Coccyzus+americanus.
- Hughes, Janice M. 1999. Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus), The Birds of North America Online (A. Poole, Ed.). Ithaca: Cornell Lab of Ornithology; Retrieved from the Birds of North America Online: http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/418
- Peterson, Roger Tory. Birds of Eastern and Central North America. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1980. Print.
- Yellow-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus). The Internet Bird Collection. Lynx Edicions, n.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://ibc.lynxeds.com/species/yellow-billed-cuckoo-coccyzus-americanus.
- eBird Range Map - Yellow-billed Cuckoo. eBird. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, N.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://ebird.org/ebird/map/yebcuc.
No one has provided updates yet.