One of the more striking birds in its range, the male Purple Finch is most readily identified by its purplish-red head, breast, and rump. Other field marks include a large bill, dark legs, and notched tail. The female Purple Finch is much less colorful, with a brown back and a brown-streaked breast. The Purple Finch breeds across southern Canada, the northeastern U.S., and the west coast of North America from British Columbia south to central California. In winter, this species withdraws from northern parts of its range, and may be found widely across the eastern U.S.and in southern California. In areas where Purple Finches occur all year, local breeders are displaced in winter by more northerly-breeding birds. In summer, the Purple Finch breeds primarily in evergreen forests. During the winter, this species may also be found in deciduous and mixed deciduous and evergreen forests as well as in thickets and hedges. Purple Finches primarily eat seeds and other plant matter, but may also eat insects when available. Like many finches, the Purple Finch frequently visits bird feeders. In wilder areas, this species may be observed feeding on seeds or buds on the ends of tree branches. This species is primarily active during the day.
- Carpodacus purpureus. Xeno-canto. Xeno-canto Foundation, n.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=Carpodacus+purpureus.
- Peterson, Roger Tory. Birds of Eastern and Central North America. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1980. Print.
- Purple Finch (Carpodacus purpureus). The Internet Bird Collection. Lynx Edicions, n.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://ibc.lynxeds.com/species/purple-finch-carpodacus-purpureus.
- Wootton, J. Timothy. 1996. Purple Finch (Carpodacus purpureus), The Birds of North America Online (A. Poole, Ed.). Ithaca: Cornell Lab of Ornithology; Retrieved from the Birds of North America Online: http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/208
- eBird Range Map - Purple Finch. eBird. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, N.d. Web. 20 July 2012. http://ebird.org/ebird/map/purfin.
No one has provided updates yet.