This versatile phytopathogen excretes the fungal peptic enzymes that degrade and dissolve the pectin contained in the middle lamella of the plant cells. (Miguel Gerardo Velázquez–del Valle, 2007)
This eventually leads to the colonization of agricultural products like vegetable and fruits which is recognized as the soft rot. This pathogen can survive in wide range of temperature and relative humidity
Initially affected part of fruit/vegetable gives the mild pleasant smell but as the yeast and bacteria move inside it the sour odor develops. Initial pleasant fleshy rot may attract fruit flies as well. After some days that vegetable/fruit becomes wet as the fungus start exuding whitish yellow liquid and whole fruit/vegetable is covered by the fungal mycelia with the black sporangia at the tip.
This pathogen has been identified as a Pre-emergence Seedling Disease Pathogen of Beta vulgaris causing damping off on it.
In cherry tomato, the fungus causes cracking on fruits following making wounds on it.Then infected parts on cracks become water soaked and disintegrate in watery rot.
Head rot caused due to this fungus have caused the reduction in the seed yield and quality of sunflower seed.
This fungus has caused the initial flower and flower bud rot which lead to the premature death of the fruits and other infected parts in Rauvolfia serpentine in India.
“When warm, humid, wet weather coincide with the flowering and fruiting season, rhizopus rot cause the total loss of fruit in jackfruit trees.”(Scot Nelson, 2005).It is the most important post harvest disease in sweet potato as well.
- Yildirim,I.,Turhan,H.,Ozgen,B.(2010) The effect of head rot disease (Rhizopus stolonifer) on sunflower genotype at two different growth stages, Turkish Journal of Field Crops, 15(1),pp.94-98.
- Kwon,J.H.,Lee,C.J.(2006) Rhizopus Soft Rot on Pear (Pyrus serotina) Caused by Rhizopus stolonifer in Korea, Korean Society of Microbiology,4(3),pp.151-153.
- Kwon,J.,H.,Kang,S.,W. and Park,C.,S.(2001) Rhizopus Soft Rot on Cherry Tomato Caused by Rhizopus stolonifer in Korea, Korean Society of Microbiology, 29(3),pp.176-178
- Agrios,G.N.(1997)Plant Pathology.California.London.Burlington: A Harcourt Science and Technology Company
- Shukla, R.S., Alam,M.,Sattar, A., and Singh,H.N.(2006)First report of Rhizopus stolonifer causing inflorescence and fruit rot of Rauvolfia serpentina in India, EPPO Bulletin,36(1),pp.11-13.
No one has provided updates yet.