Gastric brooding in the recently extinct gastric-brooding frog Rheobatrachus silus not surprisingly involved major changes in the structure of the stomach (Corben et al. 1974; Tyler and Carter 1981; Fanning et al. 1982; Gibbins and Tyler 1983; Tyler et al. 1983). Remarkably, however, although the froglets of R. vitellinus, a second (also now extinct) gastric-brooding frog described by Mahoney et al. in 1984, were also clearly brooded in the stomach, in R. vitellinus no major changes were seen in the structure of the stomach of brooding individuals (McDonald and Tyler 1984; Leong et al. 1986). Sadly, both of these frogs are now extinct, making further physiological investigations impossible.
- Corben, C. J., G.J. Ingram, and M.J.Tyler.1974. Gastric brooding: a unique form of parental care in an Australian frog. Science 186: 946-947.
- Fanning, J. C., M.J. Tyler, and D.J.C. Shearman. 1982. Converting a stomach of the gastric brooding frog, Rheobatrachus silus. Gastroenterology 82: 62-70.
- Gibbins, I. L., and M.J. Tyler. 1983. Changes in the organization and ultrastructure of smooth muscle cells in the stomach of the gastric brooding frog, Rheobatrachus silus, during brooding. Cell and Tissue Research 231: 451-456.
- Leong, A.S.Y., M.J. Tyler, and D.J.C. Shearman. 1986. Gastric Brooding: A new form in a recently discovered Australian frog of the genus Rheobatrachus. Australian Journal of Zoology 34: 205-209.
- Mahoney, M., M.J. Tyler, and M. Davies.1984. A new species of the genus Rheobatrachus (Anura: Leptodactylidae) from Queensland. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia 108: 155-62.
- McDonald, K. R. and M.J. Tyler. 1984. Evidence of gastric brooding in the Australian leptodactylid frog Rheobatrachus vitellinus. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia 108: 226.
- Tyler, M. J., D.J.C. Shearman, R. Franco, P. O'Brien, R.F. Seamark, and R. Kelly. 1983. Inhibition of gastric acid secretion in the gastric brooding frog, Rheobatrachus silus. Science 220: 609-610.
- Tyler, M. J., and Carter, D. B. (1981). Oral birth of the young of the gastric brooding frog, Rheobatrachus silus. Anim. Behav. 29, 280-282.
No one has provided updates yet.