The Two-tailed Pasha or Foxy Emperor (Charaxes jasius) is a butterfly which occurs in the Mediterranean region and Africa. In Africa, it has been recorded from North Africa, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Mali, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon, Gabon, the Republic of Congo, Angola, the Central African Republic, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Sudan, Uganda, Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Zambia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa and Swaziland.
The larvae feed on a wide range of plants, including Afzelia quanzensis, Annona (including Annona cherimola), Arbutus unedo, Bauhinia (including Bauhinia galpinii and Bauhinia petersiana), Berlinia, Brachystegia (including Brachystegia edulis and Brachystegia spiciformis), Burkea africana, Cassia, Cassine, Catha edulis, Celtis africana, Colophospermum mopane, Copaifera baumiana, Croton, Daniella oliveri, Guibourtia conjugata, Gymnosporia (including Gymnosporia senegalensis), Hibiscus, Isoberlina, Julbernardia globiflora, Khaya senegalensis, Laurus nobilis, Lonchocarpus cyanescens, Lonchocarpus sericeus, Maytenus, Osyris lanceolata, Pleurostylia africana, Protea, Prunus persica, Pseudocedrala, Schotia brachypetela, Sorghum (including Sorghum roxburghii), Vaccinium corymbosum, Xanthocerces zambesiaca and Xeroderris stuhlmannii.
- Charaxes jasius jasius (Southern Europe, North Africa)
- Charaxes jasius brunnescens Poulton, 1926 (Gabon, northern Angola, Central African Republic, south-western Democratic Republic of Congo)
- Charaxes jasius epijasius Reiche, 1850 (Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Mali, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, southern Sudan, northern Uganda, northern Ethiopia, Somalia, north-western Kenya) -Cream-bordered Charaxes
- Charaxes jasius harrisoni Sharpe, 1904 (south-western Uganda, south-western Kenya, north-western Tanzania)
- Charaxes jasius pagenstecheri Poulton, 1926 (southern Ethiopia, Somalia)
- Charaxes jasius saturnus Butler, 1866 (eastern and north-eastern Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, central and southern Democratic Republic of Congo, Angola, Zambia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, north-eastern Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland) -Foxy Charaxes or Koppie Charaxes
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Charaxes jasius|
- Charaxes, funet.fi
- Afrotropical Butterflies: File H - Charaxinae - Tribe Charaxini
- Woodhall, Steve. Field Guide to Butterflies of South Africa, Cape Town:Struik Publishers, 2005
|This article related to members of the butterfly sub-family Charaxinae is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|