Taï Forest ebolavirus
Introduction and Use of Term
The species Taï Forest ebolavirus is a virological taxon included in the genus Ebolavirus, family Filoviridae, order Mononegavirales. The species has a single virus member, Taï Forest virus (TAFV). The members of the species are called Taï Forest ebolaviruses. The name Taï Forest ebolavirus is derived from Parc National de Taï (the name of a national park in Côte d'Ivoire, where Taï Forest virus was first discovered) and the taxonomic suffix ebolavirus (which denotes an ebolavirus species). Taï Forest ebolavirus is pronounced tɑː’iː ‘fɔːrɨst iːˌboʊlə’vɑɪrəs (IPA) or tah-ee faw-rist ee-boh-luh-vahy-ruhs in English phonetic notation. According to the rules for taxon naming established by the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV), the name Taï Forest ebolavirus is always to be capitalized, italicized, never abbreviated, and to be preceded by the word "species". The names of its members (Taï Forest ebolaviruses) are to be capitalized, are not italicized, and used without articles.
The species was introduced in 1998 as Cote d'Ivoire Ebola virus. In 2002, the name was changed to Cote d'Ivoire ebolavirus (both times misspelling "Côte"). The name was proposed to be changed to Taï Forest ebolavirus in 2010, and this proposal was immediately accepted by the ICTV.
Species Inclusion Criteria
- it is endemic in Côte d'Ivoire
- it has a genome with three gene overlaps (VP35/VP40, GP/VP30, VP24/L)
- it has a genomic sequence different from Ebola virus by ≥30% but different from that of Taï Forest virus by <30%
- Kuhn, Jens H.; Becker, Stephan; Ebihara, Hideki; Geisbert, Thomas W.; Johnson, Karl M.; Kawaoka, Yoshihiro; Lipkin, W. Ian; Negredo, Ana I et al. (2010). "Proposal for a revised taxonomy of the family Filoviridae: Classification, names of taxa and viruses, and virus abbreviations". Archives of Virology 155 (12): 2083–103. DOI:10.1007/s00705-010-0814-x. PMC 3074192. PMID 21046175. //www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pmcentrez&artid=3074192.
- Netesov, S. V.; Feldmann, H.; Jahrling, P. B.; Klenk, H. D.; Sanchez, A. (2000), "Family Filoviridae", in van Regenmortel, M. H. V.; Fauquet, C. M.; Bishop, D. H. L. et al., Virus Taxonomy—Seventh Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses, San Diego, USA: Academic Press, pp. 539–48, ISBN 0-12-370200-3
- Pringle, C. R. (1998). "Virus taxonomy-San Diego 1998". Archives of Virology 143 (7): 1449–59. DOI:10.1007/s007050050389. PMID 9742051.
- Feldmann, H.; Geisbert, T. W.; Jahrling, P. B.; Klenk, H.-D.; Netesov, S. V.; Peters, C. J.; Sanchez, A.; Swanepoel, R. et al. (2005), "Family Filoviridae", in Fauquet, C. M.; Mayo, M. A.; Maniloff, J. et al., Virus Taxonomy—Eighth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses, San Diego, USA: Elsevier/Academic Press, pp. 645–653, ISBN 0-12-370200-3
- Mayo, M. A. (2002). "ICTV at the Paris ICV: results of the plenary session and the binomial ballot". Archives of Virology 147 (11): 2254–60. DOI:10.1007/s007050200052.