There are at least 250 species in the scallop family. Most scallops can swim by opening and closing their shells. Others stay fixed in one spot. Scallops have up to 100 eyes. The eyes can only distinguish between light and darkness, but they help scallops avoid predators.
- “Placopecten magellanicus.” Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placopecten_magellanicus
- “Scallop.” Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallop
- “Pectinidae.” Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pectinidae
- “Placopecten magellanicus”. Encyclopedia of Life, available form: http://www.eol.org/pages/448745/details
- Hodges, K. 2001. "Placopecten magellanicus" (On-line), Animal Diversity Web. Available from: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Placopecten_magellanicus.html.
No one has provided updates yet.