Bluefin tuna form spawning aggregations. Males and females synchronously produce eggs and sperm (milt), resulting in mating among many individuals at the same time. This is also called broadcast spawning.
Mating System: polygynandrous (promiscuous)
Bluefin tuna migrate to either the Gulf of Mexico or the Mediterranean and form spawning aggregations. Females lay up to 10 million eggs each spawning period. Males fertilize the eggs as they are produced by the females. Water temperatures during spawning are 24.8°C to 29.5°C in the Gulf of Mexico and 18.9°C to 21.1°C in the Mediterranean.
Bluefin tuna become sexually mature between the ages of 4 and 8 years.
Breeding interval: Bluefin tuna breed once yearly.
Breeding season: Breeding occurs from April to June in the Gulf of Mexico and June to August in the Mediterranean.
Range number of offspring: 10,000,000 (high) .
Range gestation period: 1.5 to 4 days.
Average gestation period: 3 days.
Range age at sexual or reproductive maturity (female): 4 to 8 years.
Average age at sexual or reproductive maturity (female): 5 years.
Range age at sexual or reproductive maturity (male): 4 to 8 years.
Average age at sexual or reproductive maturity (male): 5 years.
Key Reproductive Features: iteroparous ; seasonal breeding ; gonochoric/gonochoristic/dioecious (sexes separate); broadcast (group) spawning; oviparous
No parental care is provided for the young.
Parental Investment: no parental involvement; pre-fertilization (Provisioning)
- Agustin, L., A. Sampang, S. Luna. 2005. "Species Summary" (On-line). Accessed October 12, 2005 at http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=147.
- Figaro, L. 2005. "MEDITERRANEAN BLUEFIN TUNA ON ENDANGERED LIST?" (On-line). Accessed October 18, 2005 at http://www.spc.int/coastfish/News/Fish_News/100/NIAR_100_3.htm.
- Gardieff, S. 2005. "Bluefin Tuna" (On-line). Accessed October 14, 2005 at http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/BluefinTuna/BluefinTuna.html.
- Jeffries, B. 2005. "Southern Bluefin Tuna" (On-line). Accessed October 16, 2005 at http://www.sardi.sa.gov.au/pages/aquafin/southern_bluefin_tuna_industry.htm.
- Marinebio.org, 2005. "Atlantic Bluefin Tuna" (On-line). Accessed October 12, 2005 at http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=236.
- Miyashita, S., Y. Sawada, T. Okada, O. Murata, H. Kumai. 2001. "Morphological development and growth of laboratory-reared larval and juvenile Thunnus thynnus" (On-line). Accessed October 12, 2005 at http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDG/is_4_99/ai_81790014.
- Scott, S. 1997. "Ocean Watch" (On-line). Accessed October 13, 2005 at http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch1997/sep01-97.html.
- Tudela, S. 2001. "Tuna Farming in the Mediterranian: The Coup de grace to a Dwindling Population" (On-line). Accessed October 17, 2005 at http://126.96.36.199/search?q=cache:x9DyDZgfi00J:www.wwf.no/english/aquaculture/wwf_medpo_tuna_farming_report.doc+bluefin+tuna+captivity+lifespan&hl=en.
No one has provided updates yet.