Bluefin tuna are distributed throughout the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans in subtropical and temperate waters. In the western Atlantic Ocean, they are found from Labrador, in Canada, to northern Brazil, including the Gulf of Mexico. In the eastern Atlantic Ocean, they are found from Norway to the Canary Islands. In the western Pacific Ocean, they are found from Japan to the Philippines. In the eastern Pacific Ocean, they are found from the southern coast of Alaska to Baja California, Mexico.
Biogeographic Regions: atlantic ocean (Native ); pacific ocean (Native ); mediterranean sea (Native )
- Agustin, L., A. Sampang, S. Luna. 2005. "Species Summary" (On-line). Accessed October 12, 2005 at http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=147.
- Figaro, L. 2005. "MEDITERRANEAN BLUEFIN TUNA ON ENDANGERED LIST?" (On-line). Accessed October 18, 2005 at http://www.spc.int/coastfish/News/Fish_News/100/NIAR_100_3.htm.
- Gardieff, S. 2005. "Bluefin Tuna" (On-line). Accessed October 14, 2005 at http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/BluefinTuna/BluefinTuna.html.
- Marinebio.org, 2005. "Atlantic Bluefin Tuna" (On-line). Accessed October 12, 2005 at http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=236.
- Miyashita, S., Y. Sawada, T. Okada, O. Murata, H. Kumai. 2001. "Morphological development and growth of laboratory-reared larval and juvenile Thunnus thynnus" (On-line). Accessed October 12, 2005 at http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDG/is_4_99/ai_81790014.
- Scott, S. 1997. "Ocean Watch" (On-line). Accessed October 13, 2005 at http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch1997/sep01-97.html.
- Tudela, S. 2001. "Tuna Farming in the Mediterranian: The Coup de grace to a Dwindling Population" (On-line). Accessed October 17, 2005 at http://126.96.36.199/search?q=cache:x9DyDZgfi00J:www.wwf.no/english/aquaculture/wwf_medpo_tuna_farming_report.doc+bluefin+tuna+captivity+lifespan&hl=en.
No one has provided updates yet.