White-faced ibises are widespread, with two distinct ranges; one population is found in North and Middle America and a separate population is found in South America. Those found in North and Middle America cover most of the western and mid-western United States and most of Mexico. Breeding areas are as far north as southern Canada and as far east as Nebraska. Additionally they are found along the Gulf coast of Texas and Louisiana and in central Mexico. However, all except those found in California, Texas, Louisiana and central Mexico will migrate to southern parts of their range during the non-breeding season. Most of these winter in Mexico but other populations migrate to Guatemala, El Salvador and Honduras. South American population of white-faced ibises do not migrate for the winter. They are found from southern Brazil and southeastern Bolivia to northern Argentina. The eastern and western boundaries of their range are the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans.
Biogeographic Regions: nearctic (Native ); neotropical (Native )
- Hancock, J., J. Kushlan, M. Kahl. 1992. Storks, Ibises and Spoonbills of the World. Great Britan: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich.
- BirdLife International 2004, 2006. "Plegadis chihi" (On-line). The IUCN Redlist of Threatened Species. Accessed October 16, 2006 at http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/49621/summ.
- NatureServe, 2006. "Plegadis chihi" (On-line). Comprehensive Report Species. Accessed October 16, 2006 at http://www.natureserve.org/explorer/servlet/NatureServe?searchName=Plegadis+chihi.
- Ryder, R., D. Manry. 2005. "White-faced Ibis" (On-line). Birds of North America Online. Accessed November 14, 2006 at http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA/account/White-faced_Ibis/INTRODUCTION.html.
- Zaun, B., K. King, C. Hurt, M. Schotborgh. 2003. First Record Of White-Faced Ibis, Plegadis Chihi, Nesting In Arizona. The Southwestern Naturalist, 48/1: 130-131. Accessed October 16, 2006 at http://www.bioone.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1894%2F0038-4909%282003%29048%3C0130%3AFROWIP%3E2.0.CO%3B2.
No one has provided updates yet.