Mirounga leonina (southern elephant seals) are found along the coast of Antarctica and on sub-Antarctic islands when breeding or molting. However, before human exploitation they were more common farther north. The largest present population occurs on the island of South Georgia, in the South Atlantic Ocean. Southern elephant seals are also common on Macquarie Island, Heard Island, Kerguelen Island, and the Peninsula Valdez in Argentina. When at sea, M. leonina often journey thousands of miles from their breeding grounds. Despite the occasional sighting, not much is known about their range outside of the breeding season.
Biogeographic Regions: antarctica (Native ); oceanic islands (Native ); indian ocean (Native ); atlantic ocean (Native ); pacific ocean (Native )
- Gaskin, D. 1972. Whales Dolphins and Seals. London: heinemann Educational Books.
- Nowak, R. 2003. Walker's Marine Mammals of the World. Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Rice, D. 1998. Marine Mammals of the World-Systematics and Distribution. Lawrence, Kansas: Allen Press Inc..
- Bradshaw, C., M. Hindell, N. Best, K. Phillips, G. Wilson, P. Nichols. 2003. You are what you eat: Describing the foraging ecology of southern elephant seals using blubber fatty acids. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, 270: 1283-1292.
- 2002. Elephant Seal. Pp. unknown in P Lagasse, ed. Columbia Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, sixth Edition. New York: Columbia University Press. Accessed February 08, 2004 at http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/e1/elphnt-se.asp.
- 2002. Elephant Seals. Pp. 370-373 in W Perrin, B Wursig, J Thewissen, eds. Encyclopedia of Marine Mammals, Vol. 1, 1 Edition. San Diego: Academic Press.
- 1983. Elephant Seals. Pp. 1130-1132 in R Nowak, J Paradiso, eds. Walker's Mammals of the World, Vol. 2, 4 Edition. Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Crown. 1997. "Southern Elephant Seal (Sea Elephant)" (On-line). Department of Conservation (New Zealand). Accessed February 04, 2004 at http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/001~Plants-and-Animals/003~Marine-Mammals/Southern-Elephant-Seal-(Sea-Elephant).asp.
- Seal Conservation Society. 2001. "Southern Elephant Seal" (On-line). Seal Conservation Society. Accessed February 04, 2004 at http://www.pinnipeds.org/species/selephnt.htm.
- Anderson, G. 2003. "Elephant Seals" (On-line). Marine Science. Accessed February 08, 2004 at http://www.biosbcc.net/ocean/marinesci/05nekton/esindex.htm.
- Carroll, P. 2002. "The Kerguelen Island, Southern Indian Ocean" (On-line). Accessed December 04, 2002 at http://www.btinternet.com/~sa_sa/kerguelen/kerguelen_islands.html.
- Slip, D., M. Clippingdale. 2002. "Elephant Seals" (On-line). Australian Antarctic Division. Accessed February 04, 2004 at http://www.antdiv.gov.au/default.asp?casid=1733.
No one has provided updates yet.