Sowerby's beaked whales are found in temperate to sub arctic waters in the eastern and western North Atlantic. They are found around the British Isles and are known to occur from Newfoundland to Massachusetts. Sowerby's beaked whales occur as far north as Labrador in the west and in the Norwegian Sea in the east, southern limit is thought to be somewhere between 33ºN and 41ºN.
Biogeographic Regions: nearctic (Native ); palearctic (Native ); atlantic ocean (Native )
- 2006. "MarineBio.org" (On-line). Mesoplodon bidens. Accessed October 22, 2006 at http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=334.
- 2006. "Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society" (On-line). Sowerby's Beaked Whale Distribution and Threats. Accessed October 22, 2006 at http://www.wdcs.org/dan/publishing.nsf/allweb/342DF2CCB12D2FD0802569CF00404FB9.
- Barrett, P., D. Macdonald. 1993. Princeton Field Guides: Mammals of Europe. Princeton New Jersey: Princeton University Press.
- Carwardine, M. 2002. Whales Dolphins and Porposies. New York City, New York: Dorling Kindersley.
- Clapham, P., J. Powell, R. Reeves, B. Stewart. 2002. National Audubon Society Guide to Marine Mammals. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Culik, B. 2003. "Convention on Migratory Species" (On-line). Accessed October 22, 2006 at http://www.cms.int/reports/small_cetaceans/data/m_bidens/m_bidens.htm.
- Mottet, C. 2003. "Texas Marine Mammal Standing Network" (On-line). Accessed October 22, 2006 at http://www.sci.tamucc.edu/tmmsn/29Species/sowerbysbeakedwhale.html.
- Ruff, S., D. Wilson. 1999. The Smithsonian Book of North American Mammals. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press.