Vickery and Rooney feel that we do not have sufficient information about the sites in Maine to answer this question.
Preserve Selection and Design Considerations:
Enough buffer zone to ensure the protecton of the canopy must be provided.
Vickery and Rooney (August, 1983) initiated demographic studies on all the large and reasonably stable CALYPSO sites in Maine (Lee, Scraggly and Webster Lakes and Crystal Bog Preserve).
Rooney and McKellar have monitored the population at Crystal Preserve since 1979.
Biological Research Needs:
1. How long does Calypso bulbosa live?
2. What triggers dormancy/flowering?
3. How specifically is this element adapted to limited competition and pH of the substrate?
4. What period of time is required from germinating seed to flowering plant?
5. Rate of vegetative spread by rhizomatous roots?
No one has provided updates yet.