Little information exists on the maximum age and average lifespan of S. louisianae. The maximum reported length for the chain pipefish is 38 cm (Monteiro et al. 2005, Robins & Ray 1986), but most specimens collected in the field measure between 2.8 and 10 cm (Dawson 1972).
- Robins, CR & GC Ray. 1986. A field guide to Atlantic coast fishes of North America. Houghton Mifflin Co. New York. USA. 354 pp.
- Dawson, CE. 1972. Nektonic pipefishes (Syngnathidae) from the Gulf of Mexico off Mississippi. Copeia. 1972: 844-848.
- Herald, ES. 1942. Three new pipefishes from the Atlantic coast of North and South America with a key to the Atlantic American species. Stanford Ichthyol. Bull. 2: 125-134.
- Hildebrand, HH. 1954. A study of the brown shrimp (Penaeus aztecus Ives) grounds in the western Gulf of Mexico. Publ. Ist. Mar. Sci. Univ. Texas. 3: 233-366.
- Hildebrand, HH. 1955. A study of the fauna of the pink shrimp (Penaeus duorarum Burkenroad) grounds in the Gulf of Campeche. Publ. Ist. Mar. Sci. Univ. Texas. 4: 169-232.
- Joseph, EB & RW Yerger. 1956. The fishes of Alligator Harbor, Florida, with notes on their natural history. Florida State Univ. Stud. 22: 111-156.
- Kanouse, S, La Peyre, MK & JA Nyman. 2006. Nekton use of Ruppia maritima and non-vegetated bottom habitat types within brackish marsh ponds. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 327: 61-69.
- Monteiro, NM, Almada, VC & MN Vieira. 2005. Implications of different brood pouch structures in syngnathid reproduction. J. Mar. Biol. Ass. UK. 85: 1235-1241.
- Wells, RJD & JR Rooker. 2004. Spatial and temporal patterns of habitat use by fishes associated with Sargassum mats in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico. Bull. Mar. Sci. 74: 81-99.
No one has provided updates yet.