While the great barracuda is generally a solitary species, juveniles and young adults are commonly found in seagrass beds and alongside mangrove forests. Studies conducted in the Indian River Lagoon documented a catch of 376 individuals ranging from 122 to 840 mm over a 17-month period from 1996 to 1998 (Kupschus & Tremain 2001).
- Robins CR, Ray GC, and J Douglas. 1986. A Field Guide to Atlantic Coast Fishes. The Peterson Field Guide Series. Houghton Mifflin Co., Boston. 354 pp.
- Bagnis, R, Chanteau, S, Chungue, E, Hurtel, JM, Yasumoto, T & A Inoue. 1980. Origins of ciguatera fish poisoning: A new dinoflagellate, Gamberdiscus toxicus Adachi and Fukuyo, definitely involved as a casual agent. Toxicon 18: 199-208.
- De Sylva DP. 1963. Systematics and life history of the great barracuda. Univ. Miami, Coral Gables. 179 pp.
- Fahs II RW. 1976. Feeding habits and food of the great barracuda Sphyraena barracuda in the Indian River. Master's Thesis. Florida Inst. of Technology. 36 pp.
- Friedman, MA, Fleming, LE, Fernandez, M, Bienfang, P, Schrank, K, Dickey, R, Bottein, M, Backer, L, Ayyar, R, Weisman, R, Watkins, S, Granade, R & A Reich. 2008. Ciguatera fish poisoning: treatment, prevention and management. Mar. Drugs 6: 456-479.
- Galloway JC. 1941. Lethal effect of the cold winter of 1939-40 on marine fishes at Key West, Florida. Copeia 1: 118-119.
- Grubich JR, Rice AN & MW Westneat. 2008. Functional morphology of bite mechanics in the great barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda). Zoology 111: 16-29.
- Gudger, EW. 1918. Sphyraena barracuda; its morphology, habits and history. Pap. Tortugas Lab. 12: 53-108.
- Kupschus, S & D Tremain. 2001. Associations between fish assemblages and environmental factors in nearshore habitats of a subtropical estuary. J. Fish. Bio. 58: 1383-1403.
- Porter HT and PJ Motta. 2004. A comparison of strike and prey capture kinematics of three species of piscivorous fishes: Florida gar (Lepisosteus platyrhincus), redfin needlefish (Strongylura notata), and great barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda). Mar. Biol. 145: 989-1000.
- Russell, BC. 2002. Sphyraenidae. pp. 1807-1811. In: The living marine resources of the Western Central Atlantic. Volume 3: Bony fishes part 2 (Opistognathidae to Molidae), sea turtles and marine mammals. Carpenter KE (ed.). FAO species identification guide for fishery purposes and American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists special publication no. 5. FAO, Rome. pp. 1375-2127.
No one has provided updates yet.