Approximately 26 species of Sphyraena can be found in tropical and warm temperate waters worldwide. The range of S. barracuda overlaps with that of the guaguanche, S. guachancho, the northern sennet, S. borealis, and the southern sennet, S. picudilla (Russell 2002 & Robins et al 1986). However, it should be noted that S. borealis and S. picudilla may be synonymous. As adults, S. barracuda is the largest of these species and can be further distinguished by dark splotches or bars usually visible on the upper side and the number of scales along the lateral line. Adults also have characteristic lobes on the anterior margin of the caudal fin (Russell 2002) and lack the fleshy appendage located on the lower jaw of other species in the region (Robins et al. 1986).
- Robins CR, Ray GC, and J Douglas. 1986. A Field Guide to Atlantic Coast Fishes. The Peterson Field Guide Series. Houghton Mifflin Co., Boston. 354 pp.
- Bagnis, R, Chanteau, S, Chungue, E, Hurtel, JM, Yasumoto, T & A Inoue. 1980. Origins of ciguatera fish poisoning: A new dinoflagellate, Gamberdiscus toxicus Adachi and Fukuyo, definitely involved as a casual agent. Toxicon 18: 199-208.
- De Sylva DP. 1963. Systematics and life history of the great barracuda. Univ. Miami, Coral Gables. 179 pp.
- Fahs II RW. 1976. Feeding habits and food of the great barracuda Sphyraena barracuda in the Indian River. Master's Thesis. Florida Inst. of Technology. 36 pp.
- Friedman, MA, Fleming, LE, Fernandez, M, Bienfang, P, Schrank, K, Dickey, R, Bottein, M, Backer, L, Ayyar, R, Weisman, R, Watkins, S, Granade, R & A Reich. 2008. Ciguatera fish poisoning: treatment, prevention and management. Mar. Drugs 6: 456-479.
- Galloway JC. 1941. Lethal effect of the cold winter of 1939-40 on marine fishes at Key West, Florida. Copeia 1: 118-119.
- Grubich JR, Rice AN & MW Westneat. 2008. Functional morphology of bite mechanics in the great barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda). Zoology 111: 16-29.
- Gudger, EW. 1918. Sphyraena barracuda; its morphology, habits and history. Pap. Tortugas Lab. 12: 53-108.
- Kupschus, S & D Tremain. 2001. Associations between fish assemblages and environmental factors in nearshore habitats of a subtropical estuary. J. Fish. Bio. 58: 1383-1403.
- Porter HT and PJ Motta. 2004. A comparison of strike and prey capture kinematics of three species of piscivorous fishes: Florida gar (Lepisosteus platyrhincus), redfin needlefish (Strongylura notata), and great barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda). Mar. Biol. 145: 989-1000.
- Russell, BC. 2002. Sphyraenidae. pp. 1807-1811. In: The living marine resources of the Western Central Atlantic. Volume 3: Bony fishes part 2 (Opistognathidae to Molidae), sea turtles and marine mammals. Carpenter KE (ed.). FAO species identification guide for fishery purposes and American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists special publication no. 5. FAO, Rome. pp. 1375-2127.
No one has provided updates yet.