Siphonaria pectinata possesses an oval, limpet-like shell that is white to cream-tan in color with numerous radial brown stripes. Examined from above, the apex is slightly off-center with respect to both x-axis and y-axis midlines. As with other members of the family, the underside of the shell exhibits a c-shaped muscle scar (often indistinct) that opens to one side. The underside also shows a shallow siphonal groove that passes through the open end of the muscle scar.Members of the Siphonariidae family are not true limpets. They are a distinct gastropod family exhibiting an evolutionarily convergent (unrelated species exhibit similar form and function) shell morphology well suited for life on wave-swept rocky intertidal shorelines.
- Baker P., Baker S.M., and Jon Fajans. 2004. Nonindigenous marine species in the greater Tampa Bay ecosystem. Tampa Bay Estuary Program Technical Publication 02-04. 131p.
- Biskupiak J.E. and C.M. Ireland. 1983. Pectinatone, a new antibiotic from the mollusc Siphonaria pectinata. Tetrahedron Letters 24:3055-3058.
- Carlton J.T. 1992. Introduced marine and estuarine mollusks of North America: An end-of-the-20th-Century perspective. Journal of Shellfish Research 11:489-505.
- Craig A.K., Dobkin S., Grimm R.B., and J.B. Davidson. 1969. The Gastropod, Siphonaria pectinata: a Factor in Destruction of Beach Rock. American Zoologist 9:895-901.
- Lowell R.B. 1984. Desiccation of intertidal limpets: Effects of shell size, fit to substratum, and shape. Journal of Marine Biology and Ecology 77:197-207.
- McAlister R.O. and F.M. Fisher. 1968. Responses of the false limpet, Siphonaria pectinata Linnaeus (Gastropoda, Pulmonata) to osmotic stress. Biological Bulletin 134:96-117.
- Morrison J.P.E. 1963. Notes on American Siphonaria. Annual Reports of the American Malacological Union 1963:7-9.
- Morrison J.P.E. 1972. Mediterranean Siphonaria: West and east-old and new. Argamon 3:51-62.
- Ocana T.M.J., and R.H. Emson. 1999. Maturation, Spawning and Development in Siphonaria pectinata Linnaeus (Gastropoda: Pulmonata) at Gibraltar. Journal of Molecular Studies 65:185-193.
- Ocana T. and D.A. Fa. 2003. Microalgal availability and consumption by Siphonaria pectinata (L., 1758) on a rock shore. Boletin del Instituto Espanol de Oceanografia 2003:1-4.
- Voss, Nancy A. 1959. Studies on the pulmonate gastropod Siphonaria pectinata (Linnaeus) from the southeast coast of Florida. Bulletin of Marine Science 9:84-99.
- Williams G.A. and D. Morritt. 1995. Habitat partitioning and thermal tolerance in a tropical limpet, Cellana grata. Marine Ecology Progress Series 124:89-103.
No one has provided updates yet.