The largetooth sawfish, Pristis perotteti, is similar in body shape and size. It can be distinguished from P. pectinata based on its having a somewhat longer rostrum, and by the number of teeth on the rostrum: smalltooth sawfishes have 23 - 34 teeth on either side of the saw, while largetooth sawfishes have 17 - 22 teeth. Further, P. perotteti has a distinct lower lobe on the caudal fin. Largetooth sawfishes are quite rare in Florida waters but have not yet been listed as Endangered species because so little is known about their biology.
- Adams, W.F. and C. Wilson. 1995. The status of the smalltooth sawfish, Pristis pectinata Latham 1794 (Pristiformes: Pristidae), in the United States. Chondros 6(4):1-5.
- Bean, T.H. 1892. Observations upon fishes and fish culture. Bull. U.S. Fish. Comm. 10:49 - 61.
- Bigelow, H.B. and W.C. Schroeder. 1953. Sawfishes, guitarfishes, skates and rays. Pp. 1 - 514 in: Tee-Van, J., C.M. Breder, A.E. Parr, W.C. Schroeder, and L.P. Schultz (eds.). Fishes of the Western North Atlantic, Part Two. Mem. Sear Found. Mar. Res. I.
- Bigelow, H.B. and W.C. Schroeder. 1948. New genera and species of batoid fishes. J. Mar. Res. 543 - 566.
- Breder, C.M. 1952. On the utility of the saw of the sawfish. Copeia 1952 (2):90 - 91.
- Evermann, B.W. and B.A. Bean. 1892. The fishes of Texas and the Rio Grande Basin considered chiefly with reference to their geographical distribution.Bull. U.S. Fish. Comm. 12:57-126.
- Gilmore, R.G. 1995. Environmental and biogeographic factors influencing ichtyofaunal diversity: Indian River Lagoon. Bull. Mar. Sci. 57(1):153-170.
- Last, P.R. and J.D. Stevens. 1994. Sharks and Rays of Australia. CSIRO, Australia. 513 pp.
- National Marine Fisheries Service. 2000. Status review of the smalltooth sawfish (Pristis pectinata).
- Schmid, T.H., L.M. Ehrhardt, and F.F. Snelson. 1988. Notes on the occurrence of rays (Elasmobranchii, batoidea) in the Indian River Lagoon system, Florida. Fl. Sci. 51(2):121-128.
- Simpfendorfer, C.A. 2005. Threatened fishes of the World: Pristis pectinata Latham, 1794 (Pristidae). Environmental Biology of Fishes (2005)73:20.
- Simpfendorfer, C.A. 2000. Predicting population recovery rates for endangered Western Atlantic sawfishes using demographic analysis. EnvironmentalBiology of Fishes. 58:371-377.
- Snelson, F.F. and S.E. Williams. 1981. Notes on the occurrence, distribution, and biology of elasmobranch fishes in the Indian River Lagoon system,Florida. Estuaries 4(2):110 - 120.
- Stehmann, M. 1981. Pristidae. In: W. Fischer, G. Bianchi, and W.B. Scott (eds.) FAO species identification sheets for fishery purposes. Eastern Central Atlantic Fishing Areas 34, 47 (in part). Vol. 5.
No one has provided updates yet.