The peacock's tail, Padina pavonica, is a brown macroalga found throughout the Indian River Lagoon (see "IRL Distribution" below).The thallus, or body, of the alga is brown to tan, forming fan-shaped clusters. Each blade is calcified, more heavily above and lightly below, and curls inward near the edges. Both the upper and lower blade surfaces bear minute surface hairs arranged in a series of bands approximately 1.5 to 6 mm apart (Taylor 1979; Littler & Littler 2000; Littler et al. 2008). The blades attach to the substratum via a holdfast, which is often matted.
- Littler, DS & MM Littler. 2000. Caribbean Reef Plants. Offshore Graphics. Washington, DC. USA. 542 pp.
- Littler, DS, Littler, MM & MD Hanisak. 2008. Submersed Plants of the Indian River Lagoon: A Floristic Inventory and Field Guide. Offshore Graphics. Washington, DC. USA. 286 pp.
- Taylor, WR. 1979. Marine Algae of the Eastern Tropical and Subtropical Coasts of the Americas. University of Michigan Press. Ann Arbor, MI. USA. 870 pp.
- Coppard, SE & AC Campbell. 2007. Grazing of diadematid echinoids in Fiji. Aquat. Bot. 86: 204-212.
- Garreta, AG, Lluch, JR, Martí, MCB & MAR Siguan. 2007. On the presence of fertile gametophytes of Padina pavonica (Dictyotales, Phaeophycea) from the Iberian coasts. Anales Jardín Bot. Madrid 64: 27-33.
- Neto, AI. 2000. Observations on the biology and ecology of selected macroalgae from the littoral of São Miguel (Azores). Bot. Mar. 43: 483-498.
- Omezzine, F, Haouala, R, Ayeb, AE & N Boughanmi. 2009. Allelopathic and antifungal potentialities of Padina pavonica (L.) extract. J. Plant Breed. Crop Sci. 1: 94-203.
- Orlando-Bonaca, M, Lipej, L & S Orfanidis. 2008. Benthic macrophytes as a tool for delineating, monitoring and assessing ecological status: the case of Slovenian coastal waters. Mar. Poll. Bull. 56: 666-676.
- Tuya, F, Martín, JA, Reuss, GM & A Luque. 2001. Food of the sea urchin Diadema antillarum in Gran Canaria (Canary Islands, central-east Atlantic Ocean). J. Mar. Biol. Ass. U.K. 81: 845-849.
No one has provided updates yet.