Once hatched, the larvae pass through three planktonic stages, two zoeae and one megalopa, lasting approximately nine days (Sandifer & Van Engel 1971). The zoeal stages are characterized by a long dorsal spine and a short rostral spine between the large eyes. These stages measure 2 to 3 mm in total length. Megalopae have lost the dorsal spine, the rostral spine is shortened and the legs are more prominent, creating a total body length of about 2 mm. When a suitable habitat is selected, megalopae swim to the benthos and metamorphose into juvenile crabs.
- Abele, LG & W Kim. 1986. An illustrated guide to the marine decapod crustaceans of Florida, Part 2. Florida State Univ. Tallahassee, FL, USA. 760 pp.
- Bland, CE & HV Amerson. 1974. Occurrence and distribution in North Carolina waters of Lagenidium callinectes Couch, a fungal parasite of blue crab ova. Chesapeake Sci. 15: 232-235.
- Corrington, JD. 1927. Commensal association of a spider crab and a medusa. Biol. Bull. 53: 346-350.
- Dragovich, AJ & JA Kelly, Jr. 1964. Ecological observations of macro-invertebrates in Tampa Bay, Florida. Bull. Mar. Sci. 14: 74-102.
- Enzenross, R & L Enzenross. 2000. Non-Mediterranean crustaceans in Tunisian waters (Decapoda, Macrura and Brachyura). Crustaceana 73: 187-195.
- Frick, MG, Williams, KL, Markesteyn, EJ, Pfaller, JB & RE Frick. 2004. New records and observations of epibionts from loggerhead sea turtles. Southeast. Nat. 3: 613-620.
- Jachowski, R. 1963. Observations on the moon jelly, Aurelia aurita, and the spider crab, Libinia dubia. Chesapeake Sci. 4: 195.
- O'Brien, SB, Landau, M & KW Able. 1995. Seasonal and spatial distribution of two species of spider crab in Great Bay, New Jersey. Am. Zool. 35: 67A.
- O'Brien, SB, Landau, M & KW Able. 1999. Sex ratios of two species of spider crabs, Libinia dubia H. Milne Edwards, 1834 and L. emarginata Leach, 1815, in the area of Great Bay, New Jersey. Crustaceana 72: 187-192.
- Phillips, PJ, Burke, WD & EJ Keener. 1969. Observations on the trophic significance of jellyfishes in Mississippi Sound with quantitative data on the associative behavior of small fishes and medusa. Am. Fish. Soc. 98: 703-712.
- Ramasamy, P, Rajan, PR, Jayakumar, R, Rani, S & GP Brennan. 2006. Lagenidium callinectes (Couch, 1942) infection and its control in cultured larval Indian tiger prawn, Penaeus monodon Fabricius. J. Fish Diseases 19: 75-82.
- Ruppert, EE & RS Fox. 1988. Seashore animals of the Southeast: A guide to common shallow-water invertebrates of the southeastern Atlantic coast. Univ. South Carolina Press. Columbia, SC, USA. 429 pp.
- Ruppert, EE, Fox, RS & RD Barnes. 2004. Invertebrate zoology: A functional evolutionary approach. Brooks/Cole. Belmont, CA, USA. 963 pp.
- Sandifer, PA & WA Van Engel. 1971. Larval development of the spider crab, Libinia dubia H. Milne Edwards (Brachyura, Majidae, Pisinae), reared in the laboratory. Chesapeake Sci. 12: 18-25.
- Stachowicz, JJ & M Hay. 1999. Reduced mobility is associated with compensatory feeding and increased diet breadth of marine crabs. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 188: 169-178.
- Stachowicz, JJ & M Hay. 1999. Reduced predation through chemically mediated camouflage: indirect effects of plant defenses on herbivores. Ecology 80: 495-509.
- Stachowicz, JJ & M Hay. 2000. Geographic variation in camouflage specialization by a decorator crab. Am. Nat. 156: 59-71.
- Tabb, DC & RB Manning. 1961. A checklist of the flora and fauna of northern Florida Bay and adjacent brackish waters of the Florida mainland collected during the period July, 1957 through September, 1960. Bull. Mar. Sci. 11: 552-649.
- Tunberg, BG & SA Reed. 2004. Mass occurrence of the jellyfish Stomolophus meleagris and an associated spider crab Libinia dubia, eastern Florida. FL Scientist 67: 93-104.
- Voss, GL. 1980. Seashore life of Florida and the Caribbean. Dover Publications. Mineola, NY, USA. 199 pp.
- Williams, AB. 1984. Shrimps, lobsters, and crabs of the Atlantic coast of the eastern United States, Maine to Florida. Smithsonian Inst. Press. Washington, D.C., USA. 550 pp.
No one has provided updates yet.