Hydroides elegans is subtidal to low intertidal fouling organism that utilizes a variety of natural and artificial hard substrates including oyster and rock reefs, wood, concrete pilings, aquaculture cages, intake pipes, and vessel hulls. It is now widely distributed in the topics and subtropics, particularly in harbor fouling communities. The introduced range of the species includes coastal areas on both sides of the Atlantic (NIMPIS 2002). The species was established in parts of the southern Caribbean as early as the mid 1950s, and it was confirmed present in Florida in 1971 (Carlton and Ruckelshaus 1997). Occurrence on India River Lagoon collection blocks in locations ranging from Cape Canaveral to south Hutchinson Island suggests that Hydroides elegans is established and widespread in the Lagoon, although the relatively stenohaline character of the early life history stages (see below) may limit population distribution.
- Bagaveeva E.V., and A.Y. Zvyagintsev. 1999. The introduction of polychaetes Hydroides elegans Haswell, Polydora limicola Annenkova, Pseudopotamilla ocelata Moore into the north-western part of the Sea of Japan. Abstract. Paper presented at the First National Conference on Marine Bioinvasions January 24-27, 1999, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.
- Carlton J.T. and M.H. Ruckelshaus. 1997. Nonindigenous marine invertebrates and algae. Pp 187-201 in: Simberloff D., Schmitz D.C., and T.C. Brown (eds). Strangers in Paradise. Island Press, Washington DC. 467 p.CSIRO 2001. Hydroides sanctaecrucis Marine Pest Information Sheet. Centre for Research on Introduced Marine Pests (CRIMP) Infosheet 15.
- Imajima M. 1976. Serpulinae (Annelida:Polychaeta) from Japan. I. The genus Hydroides. Bulletin National Science Museum, Series A (Zoology) 2:229-248.
- Kaplan E.H. 1999. A Field Guide to Southeastern and Caribbean Seashores: Cape Hattaras to the Gulf Coast, Florida, and the Caribbean. Peterson Field Guide Series. Houghton Mifflin Company, NY. 425 p.
- Kocak F., and F. Kucuksezgin. 2000. Sessile fouling organisms and environmental parameters in the marinas of the Turkish Aegean coast. Indian Journal of Marine Sciences 29:149-157.
- NIMPIS. 2002. Hydroides elegans species summary. CSIRO National Introduced Marine Pest Information System (Hewitt C.L., Martin R.B., Sliwa C., McEnnulty, F.R., Murphy, N.E., Jones T. and S. Cooper Eds). Available online.Qiu J. and P. Qian. 1998. Combined effects of salinity and temperature on juvenile survival, growth and maturation in the polychaete Hydroides elegans. Marine Ecology Progress Series 168:127-134.
- Hove H.A. 1974. Notes on Hydroides elegans (Haswell 1883) and Mercierella enigmatica Fauvel 1923, alien serpulid polychaetes introduced into the Netherlands. Bulletin Zoologisch Museum Universiteit van Amsterdam 4:45-51.
- Zibrowius H. 1971 Les especies Mediterraneenes du genre Hydroides (Polychaeta, Serpulidae) remarques sur le pretendu polymorphisme de Hydroides uncinata. Tethys 2:691-746.
- Zibrowius H. 1991. Ongoing modification of the Mediterranean marine fauna and flora by the establishment of exotic species. Mesogee 51:83-107.
No one has provided updates yet.