While population densities in some portions of the IRL may be limited by salinity, Minckley et al. (1991) suggest that Gambusia affinis may be "possibly the single most abundant freshwater fish in the world".
- Baber MJ and K. Babbitt. 2004. Influence of habitat complexity on predator-prey interactions between the fish (Gambusia holbrooki) and Tadpoles of Hyla squirella and Gastrophryne carolinensis. Copeia 2004:173-177.
- Britton RH and ME. 1982. Size specific predation by herons and its effect on the sex-ratio of natural populations of the mosquito fish Gambusia affinis Baird and Girard. Oecologia 53:146-151.
- Casterlin ME and WW Reynolds. 1977. Aspects of habitat selection in the mosquitofish Gambusia affinis . Hydrobiologia 55:125-127.
- Cech JJ Jr., Massingill MJ, Vondracek B and AL. Linden. 1985. Respiratory metabolism of mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis : effects of temperature, dissolved oxygen, and sex difference. Environmental Biology of Fishes 13:297-307.
- Collier A. 1936. The mechanism of internal fertilization in Gambusia. Copeia 1936:45-53.
- FishBase. 2004. Species profile: Gambusia affinis Mosquito fish. Available online.
- Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District (GLAVCD). Undated. Mosquitofish fact sheet. Available online.
- Hoese HD and RH Moore. 1977. Fishes of the Gulf of Mexico. Texas, Louisiana, and Adjacent Waters. Texas A&M University Press, College Station TX. 327 p.
- Invasive Species Specialist Group (ISSG). 2006. Ecology of Gambusia affinis . Global Invasive Species database. Available online.
- Krumholz LA. 1948. Reproduction in the western mosquitofish, Gambusia affinis affinis (Baird & Girard), and Its use in mosquito control. Ecological Monographs 18:1-43.
- McDowall RM. 1990. New Zealand Freshwater Fishes, A Natural History and Guide. Heinemann Reed. 238 p.
- McDowall, R. M. 2000. The Reed Field Guide to New Zealand Freshwater Fishes. Reed Publishing. 224 p.
- Medlen AB. 1951. Preliminary observations on the effects of temperature and light upon Gambusia affinis . Copeia 1951:148-152.
- Minckley WL., Meffe GK, and DL Soltz. 1991. Conservation and management of short-lived fishes: the cyprinodontoids. Pages 247-82 in: Minckley WL and JE Deacon (eds.). Battle Against Extinction: Native Fish Management in the American West. University of Arizona Press, Tucson, Arizona.
- Moravec F, Huffman DJ, and DJ Swim. 1995. The first record of fish as paratenic hosts of Falcaustra spp. (Nematoda: Kathlaniidae). Journal of Parasitology 81:809-812.
- Rajasekharan PT and BN Chowdaiah. 1972. Selective Feeding Behaviour of Gambusia affinis . Oecologia 11:79-81.
- Robins CR, Ray GC, and J Douglas. 1986. A Field Guide to Atlantic Coast Fishes. The Peterson Field Guide Series. Houghton Mifflin Co., Boston. 354 p.
No one has provided updates yet.