Alexandrium monilatum is an armoured, marine, dinoflagellate that forms chains of 16+ individuals. Cells are much wider than they are long and anterior-posteriorly compressed. Thecal plates are delicate with numerous small pores. The Sulcus contains a distinguishing large rhomboid posterior sulcal plate (s.p.). The s.p. is recessed and is marked (see fig. 3.) and contains the attachment pore (pap) for chain formation. It is photosynthetic with dark green/brown chloroplasts. The nucleus is crescent moon shaped and located at the centre of the cell. This species produces resting cysts as part of it?s life cycle (Walker & Steindinger 1979).
- Balech, E. (1995). The Genus Alexandrium Halim (Dinoflagellata), Sherkin Island Marine Station, Ireland. 151 pp.
- Hsia, M., S. Morton, L. Smith, K. Beauchesne, K. Huncik & P. Moeller. (2006). Production of goniodomin A by the planktonic, chainforming dinoflagellate Alexandrium monilatum (Howell) Balelch isolated from the Gulf Coast of the United States. Harmful Algae 5:290?299
- Montero, M.V., Bustamante, E.F., Guzman, J.C., & Vargas, J.C. (2008). Harmful blooms by noxious dinoflagellates in the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. Hidrobiologica 18:15-23.
- Perry, H.M., Stuck, K.C. & Howse, H.D. (1979). First record of a bloom of Gonyaulax monilata in coastal waters of Mississippi, Gulf Res. Rep. 6: 313?316.
- Streftaris N., Zenetos A. & Papathanassiou E. (2005). Globalisation in marine ecosystems ? the story of non indigenous marine species across European Seas. Oceanography and Marine Biology: An Annual Review, 43, 419?453.
- Taylor, F.J.R., Fukuyo, Y. & Larsen, J. (1995). Taxonomy of harmful dinoflagellates. In: G.M. Hallegraeff, D.M. Anderson and A.D. Cembella (eds), Manual on Harmful Marine Microalgae, IOC Manuals and Guides No. 33. UNESCO, France: 283-317.
- Tomas C ed. (1997). Identifying marine diatoms and dinoflagellates. pp 598. Academic Press Ltd. London
- Walker, L.M. & Steidinger, K.A. (1979). Sexual reproduction in the toxic dinoflagellate Gonyaulax monilata. J. Phycol. 15: 312-315.
No one has provided updates yet.