- Tentacular club with about 33 hooks and 33 small, marginal suckers.
- Mantle soft and fleshy.
- Mantle skin with longitudinal ridges in large specimens (Clarke, 1980). The photographs below compare the skin of K. longimana (left, middle) with the skin of Onykia robsoni (right).
Figure. Mantle skin of two species. Left - Ventral view of portion of mantle of K. longimana, 195 mm ML (NMNH specimen). Photograph by R. Young. A - K. longimana. B - O. robsoni. A, B photographs from Clarke, 1980.
- Gladius not visible beneath skin in dorsal midline.
- Gladius thin and fragile with 3 pairs of narrow longitudinal ribs: one borders rhachis, one at marginal rim and one inbetween the other two.
- Gladius rostrum 5-8% of ML (Kubodera et al., 1998); 2-5% of ML (Clarke, 1980).
- Gladius rostrum tricornate dorsally in cross-section along conus field; convex rib present over full length of flat dorsal surface.
Except where indicated, this description is taken from Filippova (1972). Squids of the type series had a purple-brown color.
No one has provided updates yet.