- Armature of the arms differs greatly between species.
- Tentacles present.
- Tentacular clubs without hooks.
- Suckers of tentacular club in numerous irregular series; suckers about equal in size.
- Proximal locking-apparatus of club a series of knobs and suckers along dorsal margin of manus.
Figure. Oral view of tentacular club of B. anonychus. Red dots along the dorsal margin of the manus and stalk are knobs of the proximal locking-apparatus. Drawing modified from Pearcy and Voss (1963).
- Radula with teeth in 7 series.
Figure. View of the radula of B. anonychus. Drawing modified from Pearcy and Voss (1963).
- Mantle tissue muscular.
- Fins rhomboid in shape; not drawn out into a tail.
- Photophores absent.
The following table compares characteristics of subadult species of Berryteuthis.
|Species / Character||Maximum size||Arm hooks|
|B. anonychus|| 70 - 150 mm ML ||Females only, few, small, at arm bases|
|B. magister|| 180 - 380 mm ML ||Both sexes, many, large, along arms|
No one has provided updates yet.