- Basal Row with 9 photophores and a single sawtooth (see arrow in photograph at right).
- Club suckers
Figure. Oral view of a club sucker of H. celetaria, ventral series, holotype. Drawing from Voss (1969, Fig.15b).
- Suckers of 3 ventral-marginal rows of manus with broad, asymmetrical outer rings.
- Central suckers of manus only slightly enlarged.
CommentsMore details of the description can be found here.
Species of the celetaria-group are characterized by:
- Head photophores:
- Type 1b pattern on head.
- Basal Row of head with 9 or 10 photophores.
- Right Basal Series of head absent.
- Arms IV with 3 longitudinal series on arm base (drawing below).
Figure. Ventral view of right arm IV, holotype, 39 mm ML, female. Drawing from Voss (1969, Fig.15f).
- Most species with separate group of 4-8 compound photophores on ends of arms IV (drawing above) (Voss, et al., 1998). Apparently this feature is absent in H. inermis.
- Compound photophores of large, uniform size and evenly spaced on anterior 2/3 of ventral mantle.
The species differ in the following manner:
|Character||H. celetaria||H. inermis||H. pacifica||H. sp. A|
|Asymmetrical outer |
sucker rings in:
|3 ventral-marginal |
|No asymmetrical rings||2 ventral-marginal |
|No asymmetrical rings|
|Size of medial |
|Slightly larger than |
|2 X marginal suckers||1.5 X marginal suckers||Slightly larger than |
|Large manal-sucker dentition:||12-13 teeth on distal margin||20-27 teeth on entire margin||28-32 teeth on entire margin||15-20 teeth on distal margin|
|Single sawtooth in |
Basal Row photophore pattern:
|Yes||No sawtooth||No sawtooth||Yes|
|Number of photophores in Basal Row:||9||10||9||9|
With the exception of the analysis of head photophores and the inclusion of H. inermis in this species group, most of the information presented here is from Voss (1969) and Voss, et al . (1998)
No one has provided updates yet.