- Reproductive system
- Spermatophore ejaculatory apparatus with single loop.
- Sperm mass 46-60% of SpL.
- Hectocotylus with 2 sucker series throughout.
- Hectocotylus without papillated skin on ventral surface.
Species of Stigmatoteuthis are easily recognized by the Type 1a photophore pattern of the head which has 3 photophores in the Midline Series and no rogue photophore (see pattern of S. hoylei). S. dofleini is most easily separated from other members of the hoylei-group by the structure of the spermatophore, especially the simple arrangement of the ejaculatory apparatus with a single loop and by its temperate North Pacific distribution.
Species Stigmatoteuthis are characterized by the presence of:
- Tentacular clubs
- Medial suckers of tentacular clubs greatly enlarged, more than 4X diameter of minute marginal suckers.
- Type 1a pattern on head (e.g., 3 Midline Series photophores, 3 Basal Arm IV Row photophores and no rogue photophore).
- Basal Row on head with 8 photophores and 3 sawteeth.
- Right Basal Series on head present.
- Ends of arms IV without separate group of compound photophores.
- Compound photophores of large, uniform size and evenly spaced on anterior half of ventral mantle.
- Skin of the mantle and elsewhere with dermal warts beneath outer epithelium in large squid.
- Mail genitalia paired.
With the exception of the analysis of the head photophores, the above information is from Voss (1969) and Voss, et al. (1998).
No one has provided updates yet.