- Suckers of arms (and tentacles) with circularis muscles (unknown in Australiteuthidae).
- Club without proximal (= carpal) locking-apparatus.
- Head with tentacle pocket.
- Eyes with corneal membranes covering lenses.
- Eyes without secondary (= ventral) eyelid.
- Funnel without lateral adductor muscles.
- Mantle locking-apparatus extends to mantle edge (except Australiteuthidae).
- Shell a gladius, extending the full length of the mantle.
- Gills with branchial canal (except Pickfordiateuthis, unknown in Australiteuthis).
- Right oviduct absent.
- Females with accessory nidamental glands.
- Eggs, where known, attached to substrate.
- Embryo with large external yolk sac.
Figure. Oral view of the tentacular club of Loligo plei, 105 mm ML, preserved. Photograph by R. Young.
Figure. Left - Dorsal view of the head of Sepioteuthis sp. (Loliginidae) showing cornea covering lens. Photograph by Mark Norman. Right - Ventrolateral view of the head of Lollicuncula diomedeae showing the absence of a ventral eyelid. Photograph by R. Young.
Figure. Diagramatic cross-section through gills. Drawing modified from Naef (1921-23).
No one has provided updates yet.